Interesting People mailing list archives

A New Selective Service Draft

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:31:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gordon Jacobson <gaj () portman com>
Date: September 12, 2004 5:24:30 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: A New Selective Service Draft

As usual, your poster has his own agenda. Here is a far more balanced view of his remarks:

The House bill is sponsored by Charlie "Rangell" and has a bunch of Democrat
co-sponsors.

The Senate bill is sponsored by Hollings and has no cosponsors.

Rangel promotes his bill on TV. It is clear to me that the authors of these bills are not promoting them to enhance our military readiness.

In fact I believe it an attempt to undermine support for Bush and the war. It is an attempt to scare middle-class, white America by saying "We're going to have to draft your sons and daughters if you continue to support Bush and the war."

I suspect the bills have no chance of passing, but whenever they come up for vote, Democrats will probably attempt to take credit for voting them down.

Blacks and Hispanics are over-represented in the volunteer Army because they are mostly getting what they signed up for: They are out of Rangel's ghetto; they have pretty good jobs and they are learning trades that will be of value if they decide to leave the service.

Blacks and Hispanics ARE NOT over-represented in combat troops. Combat troops (and combat deaths, to be more specific) reflect the general ethnic make-up of the country on a percentage basis.

The administration has not expressed any interest in these bills that I know of. Rumsfeld is a big proponent of a volunteer army... small, well-trained high-tech and fast on their feet.

The current force is very good at what it does. No question it has met some resistance in recent months, but casualties are still very, very low by historic standards for an endeavor of this size. Were we to flood Iraq and Afghanistan with newly drafted troops the conflict would not end any quicker, but I am sure you would see a dramatic increase in US casualties.