Interesting People mailing list archives

New FactCheck.org Document: Update: CBS retracts documents

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:24:20 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paul Saffo <pls () well com>
Date: September 20, 2004 7:55:56 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: New FactCheck.org Document: Update: CBS retracts documents

Dave-
This from Factcheck. Of course, some on this list think FactCheck is biased, so they can of course ignore this ;-)
-p

Begin forwarded message:

From: <SubscriberServices () FactCheck org>
Date: September 20, 2004 12:44:34 PM PDT
To: <pls () well com>

Update: CBS retracts documents

09.20.2004

CBS News retracted some apparently faked documents Sept. 20, saying the source of the memos admitted misleading the organization's reporters.

FactCheck.org had posted the documents Sept. 9, in an update to an article posted the previous day concerning a TV ad attacking Bush's service in the Texas Air National Guard. We did so after CBS's 60 Minutes had reported them,  and after the White House Press office had supplied copies to reporters without questioning their authenticity. We then withdrew those documents Sept. 10, noting that they "may be forgeries" based on numerous questions raised by other news organizations and websites.

In a public apology , CBS News Anchor Dan Rather said, in part:

Rather: I no longer have the confidence in these documents that would allow us to continue vouching for them journalistically. I find we have been misled on the key question of how our source for the documents came into possession of these papers . That, combined with some of the questions that have been raised in public and in the press, leads me to a point where-if I knew then what I know now-I would not have gone ahead with the story as it was aired, and I certainly would not have used the documents in question.

The documents purported to be memos written by Bush's former squadron commander in 1972 and 1973.CBS stopped short of calling the documents forgeries, saying only that they no longer had confidence in their source and could no longer vouch for them. However several experts have now concluded that they seem most likely to have been written on a computer using Microsoft Word, not on any typewriter in use in 1972.

We at FactCheck.org are now satisfied that the memos were indeed faked, and so they can tell us nothing one way or another about Bush's Guard service. We hope to make this our last word on these documents. Fascinating as the CBS Memo saga has become, it is now a story primarily about the news media and not the presidential campaign which is our primary focus. We will leave further comment about CBS and its sources to others. Please visit http://www.factcheck.org/miscreports.aspx?docid=263 to view this announcement in full. To unsubscribe from future FactCheck.org emails, please visit http://www.factcheck.org/unsubscribe.aspx?EmailId=48172.