Interesting People mailing list archives

ABC posted & pulled apost-debate story already.

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:16 -0400

Dave Farber  +1 412 726 9889

...... Forwarded Message .......
From: "O'Connor, Rory" <oconnorr () fleishman com>
To: dave () farber net
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:04:10 -0500
Subj: RE: [IP] ABC posted & pulled apost-debate story already.

Dave,

The media have done this kind of work for years; I did plenty of it when
I was in the press. Reporters write out fairly certain aspects of a
story in advance, so they can add the news as it happens very rapidly
and get that story out to the public. Indeed, wire service reporters
often will file a story very soon after the start of some event and then
"recast" it some time later when more details are available.

It's not typical for that advance material to appear without the news
added, but I don't view it personally as any indication of how much or
how little news the debates might generate. I view it as a way for
reporters to work efficiently.

Rory J. O'Connor