Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ( as they say -- uh? djf) Clarification about using Skype on University Network]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:23:02 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby () henkel-wallace org>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:18:24 -0700
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] ( as they say -- uh? djf) Clarification about using Skype
on University Network]

Dave,

These kinds of restrictions are quite common on the mass-market
providers, but I'm surprised to see them on a university network and
_especially_ on the network of a university with such a long history
and such major standing.

An example: a colleague of mine has sprint broadband and after the
Earthlink TOS was publicised we checked Sprint's terms.  You're not
allowed to run any server of any kind (among other restrictions -- e.g.
they can also snoop on your data if you want and sell info to third
parties!).  Specifically you may not "run programs or servers that
provide network services to others through the Services which includes,
but is not limited to, web hosting, multi-user interactive forums, game
servers, operating an internal mail/http/ftp/irc/dhcp server to serve
external connections or support multi-user interactive forums..."

This seems to rule out Skype.  So we switched to AIM/iChat.

Frankston seems like a broken record, always banging on about the
intelligence being at the edge of the network, but he's of course
totally correct.  People make rules that squeeze on the balloon, but
the dumbness of the network means that people will find ways to
accomplish what they want to.

-d