Interesting People mailing list archives

Brain chip reads man's thoughts

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 07:52:32 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Jim Huggins <jhuggins () kettering edu>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 20:43:14 -0500 (EST)
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: Brain chip reads man's thoughts

Let me re-assure the IP list of several things regarding this:

1) A lot of very good people in a number of different places are working
in this area.  Do a Google search on "brain computer interface" or "direct
brain interface" and you'll see where the research is being done.

2) The state of the art in the area is a *long* way away from being able
to control a MiG by thought alone.  The *good* BCIs right now basically
can pick up at most two or three binary signals at once.  Amazingly, even
that simple capability can get you lots of benefit.  (For example, if you
can make two different binary signals, you can send Morse Code.)

But to get those signals, you either need to wear a skullcap with 64
electrodes, or you need to have a chip implanted in your brain itself.
Plus, you need to train with the system for a very long time.  You're not
going to buy one of these at Radio Shack next week.

3) Those involved with this research are aware of the ethical concerns and
do think and talk about the issues as they work on it.  The defense
establishment is very interested in possible applications, as they are in
most emerging technologies.

The writer already mentioned the plethora of positive medical applications
of this field ... and there are many.

Obligatory disclaimer: my wife is a researcher in the area, working with
the DBI project at the University of Michigan.  So, I obviously have some
bias towards the field. :)

--Jim Huggins, Kettering University, Flint, MI

------ End of Forwarded Message