Interesting People mailing list archives

more on P2P Fuels Global Bandwidth Binge

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:34:08 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:25:51 -0400
To: 'Brett Glass' <brett () lariat org>, <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on P2P Fuels Global Bandwidth Binge

I'm trying to figure out how to get past talking past each other. Reading
Lakoff's Moral Politics has been very useful in trying to understand the
difficulty in communicating.

I purposely chose questions and words that maximize the differences in world
views in order to get past the misunderstanding that comes from seeming to
agree. I want to try because these issues recur in many policy discussions.

Before I get into the specific issues I don't want to lose sight of my main
point -- the importance of increasing connectivity rather than doling out
scarcity. That's Tom Friedman's point and the big issue in terms of our
economy and our future. Somehow that issue keeps getting lost in some other
concerns. I want to figure out how we get into arguments about policy issues
that I classify as "morality". Conversely -- how do we manage to not discuss
the "Flat World" issues that leave Jackson Hole disconnected from the world.

I think you are puzzled about what I'm saying because the issues seem simple
and obvious. Your comment about encryption -- "When the primary use of a
tool is to break the law ..." -- is interesting. I think that the primary
purpose of locking a door in NYC is to reduce crime. Along these lines it's
irresponsible of me to send my financial data across the net unencrypted
and, by extension, why should I post any information for the public to read?

What is the difference between encrypting my communications and "hiding"
information in my house? The US constitution is very explicit in saying that
I do not have the onus of posting my information in the clear. OK, if you
want, the Bill of Rights.

But maybe the issue lies in your comment "our Constitution prohibits vague
laws." Since I view out language as fundamentally vague and ambiguous I
don't know where to even start. If we add political necessity to this then
laws are vague enough to permit agreement as long as people don't ask too
many questions.

This becomes even more problematic when we get technological change the
redefines the concepts and puts a lie to basic assumptions. If you find bits
on my hard disk that represent a movie how do you know if those bits are
legal or not? Given the previous go-arounds I won't try to elaborate on
different scenarios except to emphasize that you can't tell from the bits.

The law might say the legality depends on the path but technically we know
the bits are independent of the path and completely equivalent so we can
argue that it there's a legal path then the bits are legal. Are you saying
that we should judge the probability of the path? What if you don't know
about the legal path? This is all very vague and fundamentally vague.

I did try to give you an option of telling your users there are capacity
limits without resorting to P2P -- you can say that P2P is likely to exceed
the limit. That's not a violation of end-to-end as such -- you are talking
just about the bits.

Perhaps you are driven by fear of the bad things that may happen while I
focus more on creating opportunity and accepting risk. Too bad we've got
this amazing fixation on airplanes -- they create a model of point
vulnerability that's far out of proportion to reality and divert us from
real threats. And the ultimately threat is economic not point attacks.