Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Verizon CEO sounds off on Wi-Fi, customer gripes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:07:10 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby () henkel-wallace org>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:01:11 -0700
To: <eric.rabe () verizon com>, <david.e.young () verizon com>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Verizon CEO sounds off on Wi-Fi, customer gripes

It is unfortunate that the paper might have given the wrong impression
of Seidenberg's comment.  I know both how hard it is to trim and
interview and how frustrating it usually is to see how an interview (or
any story) comes out in print.

But to be fair, Seidenberg's remarks were entirely consistent with the
experiences and expectations of most Verizon (or other mobile phone)
customers (I myself am currently a Verizon customer and on the lookout
for an alternative).  Mobile carriers disable key features of
telephones in an attempt to control the customer, attempt to restrict
the set of phones available, and treat coverage information as a state
secret.  As a customer you feel more like an enemy than someone valued
by your vendor.

Yes, Verizon anecdotally appears to be the largest carrier in the Bay
Area, but not because they are popular.  Since I am searching for a new
carrier (even though I must pay a termination fee to move) I ask people
what they use.  Not one has liked their carrier, and more than one has
volunteered to me that they use Verizon because "they suck the least."
I wouldn't call that a vote of confidence.

So perhaps the Chronicle's editing wasn't so bad at all.

-d

------ End of Forwarded Message