Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Why You Suck at Investing

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 08:39:50 -0500

------- Original message -------
From: Robert Lee  <robertslee () verizon net>
Sent: 31/3/'05,  21:20

I have a friend, a stock broker, actually the biggest volume retail broker
for the company for which he works, who knows John Bogle, former head of
Vanguard.  Bogle told him that his index funds over the last 15 years have
appreciated 8.x% per year but that the average (he did not define average
but does it really matter?) investor in these index funds had gained only
2.x% because they did not get in and stay in but rather traded in and out.

Brokers are people who have less money than you and manage your money until
you don't have any more.

If Bush simply wanted American citizens to make greater returns on their
Social Security he would the SSA invest 6% of the proceeds in these funds.
And if the government really believed the blather about the returns they
would guarantee some middle ground.

How much does it cost to administer one huge fund rather than 30 million
little ones?  One FTE can administer the buys.  There are precious few sells
if you subscribe to their blather.

So what is the reason for the individual accounts?

Just as Sarbanes Oxley inadvertently became a gold mine for the very
accounting firms that lucratively fostered the crimes they are now
lucratively paid to prevent, the individual accounts will inadvertently make
the Wall Street brokerages richer than they already are.

This individual account ruse is merely one more step on a path that started
with the advent of 401K's, which is really that the government has steadily
been moving the onus of a pension from corporations to the employee.  Now
they are trying to get the government out from its responsibility to the
employee.

All this in the name of faith in the individual, personal responsibility.
Follow the pea.

I watched a TV show last night that left me wondering just how shallow the
shallow end of the gene pool is.  Three celebrities were shown video tape
interviews of normal, even attractive people on the street, then asked to
guess which ones knew the answers to various questions.  These were people
who spoke in complete sentences, whose verbs agreed with their nouns, etc.
Nothing about them seemed idiotic, dumb, insensate.  Yet, these "normal
people" must have had two digit IQ's.  I cannot for the life of me remember
any of the questions but the last one, which was what are the popular
initials for Health Maintenance Organizations.  No one got it.  I think
someone answered CIA.

These are the people who are going to make investment decisions.  These are
people who do not know what an index is.  I do not say that to be
inflammatory.  There is no way these people could have known what an index
is and I doubt they could have retained it for more than two days given
fifteen minutes to learn it.

With this administration I have a fallback rule for issues I do not totally
understand.  I derived this rule from the issues I do understand totally.
If they want it, I don't.

Robert Lee