Interesting People mailing list archives

Law would put 'In God We Trust' in schools

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:07:35 -0400

Law would put 'In God We Trust' in schools

Thursday, April 07, 2005
By
Bill Toland, Post-Gazette Harrisburg Bureau

HARRISBURG -- The national
statement of faith, "In God We Trust," has been appearing on coins since
1864, and has been the country's motto since 1956. But should it be
appearing in each of Pennsylvania's tens of thousands of public
classrooms?

On the Internet

House Bill No. 1012
The national "In God We Trust" campaign

A proposed law, now awaiting action in the state House, would
require the motto to appear in every public school classroom, auditorium and
cafeteria in Pennsylvania.

If it gains steam, the "National Motto Display
Act," as it's being called, is likely to begin a battle pitting familiar
foes -- proponents say it's an historical motto that harmlessly brings a
little bit of God into schools, while opponents say it's a possible breach
of the church-state

snip

<http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05097/484170.stm>