Interesting People mailing list archives

Schneier plagiarized

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:34:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Roland Cole <cole () spi org>
Date: August 15, 2005 5:58:24 PM EDT
To: "'David Farber (by way of Bernard A. Galler)'" <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Schneier plagiarized

In this case as described, it sounds like the Journal and the authors
involved may be guilty of copyright infringement (a separate issue from
plagiarism, but plagiarism that is accomplished by more or less direct
copying means that copyright is probably also infringed.) If the original
journal or the original authors registered the copyright, the "copying"
authors and the "copying" journal might be held to be subject to statutory damages for copyright infringement. If the author is still unsatisfied with
the response, he may want to consult a copyright attorney, or urge the
journal (if it holds to copyright) to do so.

Rollie

Roland J. Cole, J.D., Ph.D.
Executive Director
Software Patent Institute