Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "Google Print" and Ethics

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:58:46 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: NC Hanger / Windhaven <nhanger () windhaven com>
Date: August 16, 2005 3:43:04 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: tim () oreilly com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on "Google Print" and Ethics

Tim,

I hate to point this out, really. Maybe you're not aware of it, but -- for instance -- my book from 2003, The First Year: Lupus, is up at Google Print with FULL PAGES showing. Not snippets. I don't know what pages you see at Google Print, but I see full book pages.

The pages show 5 at a time, in blocks (forwards, backwards) when you search on =any text= from the book at all. I tried this by searching on text randomly selected from the print edition. From page 53, I got the following hit at Google Print:

http://tinyurl.com/conf8

Note the search words I used at print.google.com in the full URL of the hit.

From page 103:
    http://tinyurl.com/dqbt3

Page 103's searchable text (see URL above for key words I used) is even better: it's a lengthy quote from another book -- one which I & my publisher had permission to use in the print edition for The First Year: Lupus, but which I highly doubt Google had permission to copy as well. Permissions within permissions -- gets interesting. That'll be for the lawyers to argue out.

I'm in publishing too, Tim. I've been a managing editor or production manager or plain old editor at mainstream publishers since 1983. I have rarely disagreed with anything you have to say on the subject of copyright or publishing, but here I think we differ quite a bit. As you can see from my .sig below, I'm nowadays the production manager for Jim Baen -- Baen Books. As you know, Baen's pretty unusual as far as rights and electronic use of books goes, but I suspect even they would wonder at why a company like Google would assume a publisher (or copyright holder) would want them to create & store electronic copies of their books without permission (opting in, not opting out -- which is questionably useful as a stopgap, legalities aside). Especially a company like Baen which already makes very good use of its electronic versions of its books and brings income from such directly to both itself as a publisher and the authors themselves. Why let Google make the money when the publisher already is? But perhaps because Baen is an exception to the rule, it doesn't figure highly in your discussion to hand.

The searchable version of my book, even 5 pages at a time, scares the crap out of me. The first thing I thought when I saw it was: Only a short time before someone figures out how to grab the whole thing, rather than 5 pages at a time, and just print the sucker out.

I'm already at 2nd printing, thank you, without Google's help via Google Print. I don't think making it searchable in this manner is going to bring me more buyers. What will bring more buyers is the need for a legitimately printed book available in the bookstores, not printed in someone's basement and sold on eBay for $2 plus shipping. Granted, my book isn't likely to be pirated. It's too damned boring.

I'd like to make it to 3rd printing. And I bet I will, even without Google Print. Royalties are a Good Thing.

We seem to have very different experience in the success rate of books, by the way. But again, perhaps Baen's sell-through rate is an exception to the rule and not applicable here. But then, the sell- through rate of my boring book was an exception too, I guess. Publishing is an odd world and exceptions do crop up in groupings sometimes.

Best,
--Nancy

Nancy C. Hanger, production manager
Baen Books (dist. by Simon & Schuster)
nhanger () windhaven com
603-483-0929 (prod. office) | 603-483-8022 (fax)
                        * www.baen.com *