Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Half of all Americans support a national ID card

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:13:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "ben () allenwood org" <ben () allenwood org>
Date: August 18, 2005 5:01:53 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: declan () well com
Subject: RE: [IP] Half of all Americans support a national ID card

More than half of all Americans also support GWB, at least, enough to vote
for him in the past election (give or take a margin of error).

Alexis de Toqueville warned of the "Tyranny of the Majority" but I feel we
have long since passed that mark...here are some of his quotes.

"The moral authority of the majority is partly based on the notion that
there is more intelligence and wisdom in a number of men united than a
single individual, and that the number of legislators is more important
that their quality."

"I know of no country in which, speaking generally, there is less
independence of mind and true freedom of discussion than in America [...] As long as the majority is still undecided, discussion is carried on; but as soon as its decision is irrevocably pronounced, everyone is silent, and the friends as well as the opponents of the measure unite in assenting to
its propriety."  (This can also be called loyal dissent -- B.P.)

Ok just one more, but this quote from de Toqueville seems eerily prescient of Chertoff's bullying remarks regarding the TSA registered flyer program:

"“The sovereign can no longer say, “You shall think as I do on pain of
death”: but he says, “You are free to think differently from me, and to
retain your life, your property, and all that you possess; but if such be your determination, you are henceforth an alien along your people. You may
retain your civil rights, but they will be useless to you, for you will
never be chosen by your fellow-citizens, if you solicit their suffrages;
and they will affect to scorn you, if you solicit their esteem. You will
remain among men, but you like an impure being; and those who are mostly
persuaded of your innocence will abandon you too, lest they should be
shunned in their turn."