Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Paul Levy: Trademark bill threatens right to criticize companies [fs]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:55:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Phil Kos <PhilK () quardev com>
Date: August 26, 2005 11:21:23 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Paul Levy: Trademark bill threatens right to criticize companies [fs]

Dave:

I saw this message last night; and so I found it amusing when, riding the bus in to work this morning, I noticed one of the other passengers reading the last issue of Fortune -- the cover of which is a blatant parody of the old Charles Atlas sand-kicking ad. It even includes the text "97-LB. WEAKLING," which I understand (from Wikipedia) is a registered trademark of Charles Atlas, Ltd.

Of course I'm sure Fortune acquired explicit written permission from C. A. Ltd. before doing this. Right?

Phil Kos
Issaquah, WA