Interesting People mailing list archives

Vonage bizarre behavior with voicemail rollover

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 19:29:21 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mark Laubach <mark () broadbandphysics com>
Date: December 17, 2005 7:01:06 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Vonage bizarre behavior with voicemail rollover

David,

Don't know if any of the other IP'ers have experienced this, but
I think it's very bad behavior.

I have my Vonage voicemail preferences set to immediate handoff.
I use the line as a just an incoming voicemail repository.

When the Vonage router is connected to the Internet and I can make
outgoing calls, incoming calls gets routed to voicemail just fine.

If for some reason my Vonage router is off the net, anyone who calls
my line gets three rings and then a network busy signal; i.e. no
voicemail connection.

Even if this is a result of some preference setup oddity, the behavior
of not rolling to voicemail whether or not the voice router is
connected to the net is stupid design to me.

If anyone can help, please get back to me.

Thanks,
Mark