Interesting People mailing list archives

"Double Secret" Wiretaps vs. the President's 2004 Statement

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:21:56 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: December 20, 2005 10:01:41 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: "Double Secret" Wiretaps vs. the President's 2004 Statement

Dave,

In April 2004, President Bush made a seemingly direct and
unequivocal statement regarding U.S. wiretapping policies in the
fight against terrorism.  We now know that he spoke these words after
authorizing the NSA warrantless wiretapping program.

You can hear his comments for yourself in this very short video:

http://www.vortex.com/bv/wiretaps.wmv (Windows Media)

The White House explanation for this seemingly gaping discrepancy is
that the President was supposedly (we're now told) only talking about
"ordinary" secret wiretaps under the PATRIOT Act, not about what
we might call "Double Secret" NSA wiretaps (legal or not).

Newspeak is alive and well.  Dean Wormer of "Animal House" fame
would be proud.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () eepi org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, EEPI
  - Electronic Entertainment Policy Initiative - http://www.eepi.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com