Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Leap second fight brewing

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:51:02 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: December 26, 2005 4:00:58 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: RE: [IP] Leap second fight brewing

Again ... how much work is put into writing libraries to do time/date
arithmatic while being oblivious to the fact that they are all wrong?

Remember that the statement
        Time += 00:00:01
is invalid

Are there any software libraries that forbid arithmetic using seconds
without forcing you to specify which minute they are part of? If you do
specify which second as in
      Time += Base(2005-12-31-23:59:59-UTC) + 00:00:002
Does the library produce the proper result?

Time zone corrections are wrong too since the time zones are offset by n
hours +/- 1 second (ignoring the odd zones off by :30 and :15)

Perhaps we can learn from the TSA and accept discretionary enforcement and
get past the foolish notion that computers are consistent or predictable
even in the simplest case. After all, if we believe the DNS works then we shouldn't bother ourselves with trifles. So what if the rocket engines fire
a second later?

I still don't understand the purpose of leap seconds on the human scale. I
understand correction factors but I don't understand this fundamentalist
view of time.