Interesting People mailing list archives

CFP2006 Call for Participation

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:19:13 -0500

I think I will be there for a change. djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bruce R Koball <bkoball () well com>
Date: December 29, 2005 3:51:09 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: CFP2006 Call for Participation

Dave,

If possible, could you share the following announcement with IP.

thanks,

-brk-

Bruce R. Koball         Motion West          (direct)   510 845-1350
bkoball () well com        2210 Sixth St        (office)   510 548-2450
bkoball () koball com      Berkeley, CA 94710   (studio)   510 845-3946

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both
instances there is a twilight where everything remains seemingly
unchanged, and it is in such a twilight that we must be aware of the
change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims
of the darkness." --Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

CFP2006: The Sixteenth Conference on Computers, Freedom & Privacy

L'Enfant Plaza Hotel Washington, DC, USA
May 2-5, 2006

CALL FOR PROPOSALS

The Program Committee of the Sixteenth Conference on Computers, Freedom,
and Privacy (CFP2006) seeks your proposals for innovative conference
sessions and speakers.

The Computers, Freedom & Privacy Conference has been a leading venue for
public debate on the future of privacy and freedom in the online world for
a decade and a half. Each year, key representatives from government,
business, education, and non-profits including the legal, law enforcement,
security, media, consumer, and individual hobbyist communities have
gathered together to anticipate policy trends and issues and to help map
the future of society in the online world. Attendees will meet again this
coming May to address cutting edge questions and issues in computing,
freedom and privacy.

CFP has been held in different cities over the years, from San Francisco
to Toronto to Chicago to Austin. This year the conference once again will
be held in Washington, D.C., which continues to offer an unusual mix of
policy and legal experts and resources to draw upon. This conference will
not be limited to discussions of United States-based parties and
interests, however -- consistent with its history, CFP expects to draw
participants and events from around the world, addressing the forces that
continue to shape the global Internet as well as well as other issues
raised by our increasingly pervasive technological environment. As always,
the conference hopes to examine the role the Internet is playing in
democratic activism at all levels: local, national, and global.

We welcome proposals on all aspects of computers, freedom, and privacy. We
strongly encourage proposals that explore some of the most important
issues facing the Internet and freedom, including: intellectual property and intellectual freedom; copyright versus technologies that make copying cheap or free; global activism; technology and monopoly; voting technology
and democracy; technology and weapons; ICANN and Internet governance;
borders and censorship; digital divide; biometric systems; consumer
privacy; wireless privacy and security; hacktivism; digital rights
management and privacy; public records and private lives.

We are seeking proposals for tutorials, plenary sessions, workshops,
technical demonstrations, and birds-of-a-feather sessions. We are also
seeking suggestions for speakers and topics. Sessions should present a
wide range of thinking on a topic by including speakers from different
viewpoints. Complete submission instructions appear on the CFP2006 web
site at:

 http://www.cfp2006.org

All submissions must be received by January 31, 2006. Proposals will be
reviewed by the CFP2006 Program Committee and Advisory Board. The Program Committee will notify submitters of the status of proposals no later than
March 1, 2006.