Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Amazon Phishing scam - BEWARE!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 16:31:18 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dennis Allison <allison () shasta stanford edu>
Date: December 3, 2005 3:50:05 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Amazon Phishing scam - BEWARE!

For IP if you wish...

I get 4 or 5 variations of the Aamazon phishing scam a day and almost
always send them off to stop-phishing () amazon com.  As a user, even
today,of an ascii mail reader, the phishing hacks are usually obvious and
in my face.

I have yet to receive any information from Amazon, eBay, or anyone else
about what action they have taken on reported phishing expeditions. For a period of a year and a half, I sent every Nigerian scam letter I received
(2 to 6 per day) on to the Secret Service per their request only to find
that they were dumping everything into a bit budket because the volume was too high and they lacked the staff to persue it. In a couple of instances
where I was concerned enough about the phish to contact the targeted
institution directly, the "security" folks would give out no information
citing "privacy" concerns.  My guess is that most phishing mails are not
persued and the ISPs hosting the data gathering pages continue to operate,
business as usual.