Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Google search and seizure, etc. vs. technologists

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 05:52:41 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "William S. Duncanson" <caesar () starkreality com>
Date: December 3, 2005 8:59:33 PM EST
To: karn () ka9q net
Cc: lauren () vortex org, dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Google search and seizure, etc. vs. technologists

I have to agree with Lauren here.  The "average user's" lack of
understanding has been the reason why far more important and useful
technologies have never been widely adopted.  Look at PGP or any other
digital e-mail signature technology. The average user doesn't understand why they're useful, isn't willing to pay for them or go through the trouble to use a free implementation, and the whole idea just withered on the vine. Even businesses, for whom e-mail has become a mission critical aspect find the expense and trouble of implementing a simple, company-wide public key encryption/signing system to be too much of an effort or financial burden
without a useful ROI.  And what could be more important to a large
corporation than secure, guaranteed communications?  The same is true of
anonymizing proxies; anonymizing proxies have been in existence for years, and they're only used by a trivial number of people. Wide scale adoption of
such a technology appears to be as likely as wide adoption of digitally
signed e-mail...