Interesting People mailing list archives

You There, at the Computer: Pay Attention

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:38:57 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:51:24 -0500
To: <undisclosed-recipient:;>
Subject: You There, at the Computer: Pay Attention

You There, at the Computer: Pay Attention

February 10, 2005
 By KATIE HAFNER

FIRST, a confession. Since starting to write this article
two hours ago, I have left my chair only once. But I have
not been entirely present, either.

Each time I have encountered a thorny sentence construction
or a tough transition, I have heard the siren call of
distraction.

Shouldn't I fiddle with my Netflix queue, perhaps, or click
on the weekend weather forecast? And there must be a friend
having a birthday who would love to receive an e-card right
now.

I have checked two e-mail accounts at least a dozen times
each, and read eight messages. Only two were relevant to my
task, but I responded right away to all of them. My sole
act of self-discipline: both instant messaging accounts are
turned off. For now.

This sorry litany is made only slightly less depressing
when I remind myself that I have plenty of company.

Humans specialize in distraction, especially when the task
at hand requires intellectual heavy lifting. All the usual
"Is it lunchtime yet?" inner voices, and external
interruptions like incoming phone calls, are alive and
well.

But in the era of e-mail, instant messaging, Googling,
e-commerce and iTunes, potential distractions while seated
at a computer are not only ever-present but very enticing.
Distracting oneself used to consist of sharpening a
half-dozen pencils or lighting a cigarette. Today, there is
a universe of diversions to buy, hear, watch and forward,
which makes focusing on a task all the more challenging.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/10/technology/circuits/10info.html

------ End of Forwarded Message