Interesting People mailing list archives

air skype

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 08:31:20 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Edward Vielmetti <edward.vielmetti () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 02:39:58 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: air skype

for IP:

I spoke with Valdis Krebs this afternoon who was high over the
Atlantic flying SAS on his way home from eastern Europe.  He was
talking to me using Skype, and not paying anything extra for the call
over and above the $29 fee he paid for 6 hours of wifi service.

The flight used Boeing's Connexion service.  Skype sound quality was
as good as ever - he didn't have a separate mic and was just using the
built-in on his Mac Powerbook.

The PR from Lufthansa has this about the service:

The network from Cisco includes five Cisco Aironet 350 Access Points,
a Cisco 3640 Router, and nine digital switches for the hardwired
Ethernet connections found in some seats in First Class and Business
Class. The wireless, obviously, reaches everyone on the plane. The
data throughput for users on the plane is about 3 Megabits per second
(Mbps) downstream and 128Kbps for uploads.

Clearly that's not enough for a plane-full of freephone callers, but
if you're lucky enough to be one of the early adopters, it sounds
great.  Just hope that there are no international spammers or p2p
nodes on board.

http://vielmetti.typepad.com/vacuum/2005/02/air_skype_free_.html
--
Edward Vielmetti in Ann Arbor, MI 48104
+1 734 276 5910 / skype: edwardvielmetti

edward.vielmetti () gmail com
http://vielmetti.typepad.com

------ End of Forwarded Message