Interesting People mailing list archives

Founding fathers & video blogs

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:10:55 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bonnie L Bucqueroux <bucquero () msu edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:53:38 -0500
To: Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Founding fathers & video blogs

Below is part of my political blog for the Detroit News, with a link to The
State News article showing how irreligious our founding fathers really were.

<http://info.detnews.com/weblog/?blogid=3399>

In fact, our country was founded by a radical bunch of secularists and
atheists. Michigan State staffer John Bice points out that Jefferson
actually scissored out the parts in the Bible that referred to angels and
such. In his amazingly well-researched article in the The State News, Bice
wrote, "The Rev. Bird Wilson, an Episcopal minister and historian, lamented
in an 1831 sermon, 'The founders of our nation were nearly all Infidels.'"
<http://www.statenews.com/op_article.phtml?pk=28235>

When conservatives get misty-eyed about our founding fathers (never our
mothers), they are letting their ignorance obscure the reality that
revolutionaries like Jefferson and Paine would be horrified by today's
efforts to push schools into teaching creationism and (un)intelligent
design. Paine branded the bible "absurd" - a pack of "lies and
contradictions." Makes you long for the good old days, doesn't it?

BTW - http://info.detnews.com/weblog - I have started videoblogging for the
DEtroit News -- if you look at the upper-right of the page, you will see a
link to my new offering.  Visit again later this week and you will see that
my dog Schmoopsie and I go to Hollywood to help Chris Rock battle Matt
Drudge, now that we've bee kicked out of the Pentagon for a while.

Faithful reader -  Bonnie Bucqueroux

------ End of Forwarded Message