Interesting People mailing list archives

more on This is a list of Domain Names to which marketers may not send unsolicited e-mail

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 07:10:52 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Henrik Brameus <blondino () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:16:41 +0100
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] This is a list of Domain Names to which marketers may not
send unsolicited e-mail

Dave,

I do not normally post to your list, but I always read it eagerly. Now
hoewever I see this FCC announcement and I instinctively have a few
reactions.

The first one is that it's a praise worthy initiative, but I wonder
why only wireless subscribers should have the right not to be spammed.
If it is because they pay for their messages, then so do I on my email
with monthly fees, harddisk spae and processor cycles. Admittedly less
than a Cingular customer does, but still.

The second thought is that if this is now illegal, under whos
jurisdiction is this, and how will they deal with all the companies
that will suddenly pop up in countries where there is very little
chance of US authorites reaching you. Besides, current spam
legislation has proved quite ineffective even in the USA itself.

And the third is that for companes in these countries these lists are
the perfect start for a dictionary attack to make sure that you cover
as many possible email addresses as possible. Especially since many
phones are also reachable using the phone number that should be easy.

Once again this only proves to me that the people making the rules
about modern information technology have very little idea about the
real problem and hence make rules that will probably just silence the
persons who scream that nothing is done to stop this.

I would much rather see tougher legislation on unsollicited
communications and a legal system that can effectively enforce those
rules.

Henrik Brameus