Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Investors that are funding spyware, from Ben Edelman [priv]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:47:42 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Robert Grosshandler <rob () iGive com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:33:23 -0600
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Investors that are funding spyware, from Ben Edelman
[priv]

Regarding Ben Edelman

He'll be presenting at eComXpo -- www.ecomxpo.com, of which I'm Program
Chair.  His topic is an overview of the entire spyware, adware,
parasiteware, loyaltyware "space".

eComXpo is the first virtual trade event for the entire performance
marketing industry.  It's completely online.  You can attend in your PJs
2/17 - 2/19.

On the program (we've over 100 presentations being scheduled) are folks like
Dave Sifry, Doc Searls, and more.

Several people are going to be talking to the issues surrounding software
downloads, in addition to topics ranging from blogs and search engines to
affiliate marketing.

As a delighted and thankful reader of IP, I've got some free passes to
share.

Drop me a line at rob () ecomxpo com to get yours.  First come, first served.

Yours,

Rob

===================
Robert N. Grosshandler
Program Chair
eComXpo

CEO / Founder
iGive.com

From: Ben Edelman <edelman () law harvard edu>
To: 'Declan McCullagh' <declan () well com>

Declan,

I thought you might get a kick out of a page I just posted.  I've made a
list of major US companies in >the spyware business as I define it (tracking
and/or collecting sensitive information, either without >>notice and consent
or without meaningful notice and informed consent), along with the investors
who >>have provided these companies with, by my count, at least $139 million
of venture funding.

  Investors Supporting Spyware
  <http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/investors/>

---