Interesting People mailing list archives

Statement From Verizon Online Regarding Spam Filtering

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:02:05 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Alice Kehoe <akehoe () zen org>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:52:31 -0500
To: <brendan () zen org>
Cc: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Statement From Verizon Online Regarding Spam Filtering

Ah yes, a carefully formulated and rational plan of action ... right up
there with, "if I shut my eyes, Mama can't see me taking these chocolates."

Statement From Verizon Online Regarding Spam Filtering
Spam is out of control. Leading providers of spam protection tools, such as
MX Logic Inc. and MessageLabs, report that some 80 to 90 percent of all
e-mail today is spam.

This is a major problem for Internet users in multiple ways. Spam clogs our
mailboxes daily to the point where it threatens viability of e-mail as a
communications tool. It also routinely carries viruses, identity-theft
scams, spyware, and other serious security threats.

As an ISP, Verizon Online is working hard to address these serious security
threats on the Internet by closely monitoring our network for incoming and
outgoing spam and by working cooperatively with others across the ISP
industry on anti-spam initiatives.

These round-the-clock efforts include blocking spam and propagation of
viruses from sources we identify using methods that are consistent with
industry practices. This is a long-standing policy at Verizon Online.

When we identify sources of spam or viruses, we block them as narrowly as we
can and, where possible, we work directly with whoever manages that source
to notify them of the issue. We then continuously monitor the source and
will lift the block as soon as we are satisfied the threat has been
resolved. In many cases, this is resolved within two days; however, we will
not remove a block as long as a serious threat remains.

The entire ISP industry is working to combat spam and other online security
threats. Verizon Online is a member of various coalitions, including the
Messaging Anti-Abuse Working Group, which comprises both large and small
ISPs covering more than 100 million online subscribers. We have aggressively
pursued spammers through legal action and taken a leading role in drafting
legislation at the state and national levels. We also are working with
domestic and international law-enforcement agencies to combat spam and other
threats. In short, Verizon is committed to protecting its customers and its
network from the serious security matters that threaten our use of the
Internet everyday.

Any spam-blocking method will, inevitably, result in the blocking or delay
of otherwise legitimate e-mail. This is yet another reason why spammers are
harmful to the Internet community. If a Verizon Online customer believes he
is not receiving legitimate e-mail, he should call our technical support
desk for assistance and we will work to resolve the situation as quickly as
possible. Our Verizon Online Web site also features an Internet security
page with practical tips and tools that can help customers protect
themselves from Internet threats. It can be found at
http://broadbandbeat.verizon.net/safety_security.

We believe that fighting spam is the right thing to do for the safety and
security of our more than 4 million broadband and dial-up customers.

Some of the loudest complaints you will see or hear about spam blocking come
from the spammers themselves, who lose significant income when their efforts
to flood the Internet with unsolicited e-mail are foiled. Our customers
expect and demand that we provide them with as safe, secure, and effective
an Internet experience as possible, and we are firm in our commitment to do
that.

------ End of Forwarded Message