Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Police use cameras to track vehicles of suspects

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:58:33 -0400

note "if you are not doing anything wrong"

Begin forwarded message:

From: PBradfield () aol com
Date: July 21, 2005 8:59:31 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Police use cameras to track vehicles of suspects

Dear Dave,

I am a liberal and I have been thinking about this issue for the last couple of days. A few things came to mind.

I visit New York City (NYC) for business on occasion, and frequently I walk from one appointment to another. Especially since 9-11 (but even before then), the presence of police officers on foot patrol is notable. At first I thought it made NYC look like a "police state" but after a short while I realized that they were not monitoring me. They were just there making the city safe for pedestrians like me. I must say that I feel very safe walking the streets of NYC. In addition, they are a great resource whenever I am curious about which direction to go to get to my next appointment. As long as I am not going to commit any crimes, they are "on my side."

How much different are the these cameras? It seems to me that if you are not doing anything wrong, you can ignore them and/or take comfort that they serve as a deterrent for crime. When I point this out to those that are anxious about "being monitored" they mutter stuff about "big brother" and "living in a police state."

These people need to check their ego and self-centeredness. The world does not live to see what they are doing, and unless they commit a crime, their presence on a police TV monitor is at worst, barely noted. Tracking innocent people takes time away from trying to catch the bad guys which is what police are trained to do.

I believe it is the responsibility of our government (and one of the reasons you pay taxes) to provide a safe and secure environment for the progress of our society. Police are a necessary part of that, and as long as the police are overseen by the public, there will be few problems and abuses.

Note: These cameras would provide evidence of criminal behavior by the police as well.

My $0.02.
Philip Bradfield, Ph. D.
VP-Tailored Lighting Inc.
Where SoLux was invented.