Interesting People mailing list archives

more on middle-aged white females

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:39:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Hugh Crawford <hugh-list () thoughtballoon com>
Date: July 26, 2005 11:02:58 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: middle-aged white females

In 1986, a pregnant 32-year-old Irish woman attempted to take an El Al flight from London to Tel Aviv with a bomb that her boyfriend had hidden in her luggage. In 1987, a 70-year-old man and a 25-year-old woman--neither of whom were Middle Eastern posed as father and daughter and exploded a bomb aboard a Korean Air flight from Baghdad to Thailand killing all on board. In 1999, men dressed as businessmen and as a Catholic priest forced an Avianca flight to divert to an airstrip in Colombia and held passengers hostage for more than one and a half years.

So much for profiling. Anyway, if I were in charge of the MTA I'd be more concerned about the gasoline tankers that drive past very vulnerable points of the subway system such as stations or ventilation grates every day. The effects of a few backpack bombs would be trivial compared to a driving a gas tanker into the 72nd st. and Broadway station for instance

Protecting the NYC subway system ( mostly built in trenches just below the surface ) against the vulnerabilitys of the London subway system ( mostly built in deep tunnels ) is just silly

Hugh Crawford
Brooklyn NY

Begin forwarded message: