Interesting People mailing list archives

more on More strange statistics from the Department of Defense (about Hummers)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 17:44:14 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joe Pistritto <jcp () jcphome com>
Date: July 6, 2005 5:23:53 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] More strange statistics from the Department of Defense (about Hummers)

According to this:
http://mediamatters.org/items/200412160015

The number of Humvees in Iraq is 16,000 in December 2004 counting all the armored ones. (level one or level two). There are certainly some completely un-armored ones as well. I think we can safely assume this source is not pro-administration.

As an owner of a Hummer H1 (essentially the same thing as an unarmored Humvee), $20K for a bolt on armor kit isnt unusual. The winch kit for the H1 has a list price of almost $10K and that's not a mil spec part. (it has the winch itself, plus replaces the bumper with a heavy duty version and the front springs becuase the thing is heavier). When you do the armor kit, you would have to do the springs as well (on front *and* rear). To hold up the extra weight. (the bolt on armor kit weighs between 1000 and 2000 lbs. depending on which components the military puts in it's level two armor kit). Given that its the government and they're in a hurry, $20K each for 10K armor kits seems pretty likely. Then the 6000 or so new Level One Hummvees probably cost $150K each (at least). Totally unarmored civilian Hummers list for $110K, again, no mil spec parts, and no accessories the military tends to buy. A number of civilian H-1s have been up-armored by private companies, and this is the technique they use. I would not feel *really safe* driving a Hummer with kevlar doors, Lexan windows, and the 1/2 inch thick armor panel on the bottom which is the typical "low level" armor protection kit next to an IED with a couple of mortar shells in it, for instance. Although someone shooting at you with a handgun or a light rifle will likely be frustrated.

Level One Humvees are built with the armor capability from the ground up - different components are used. There were very few Level One vehicles before Iraqi Freedom. (I think about 200). It was largely an experimental program at the time. But then the Hummer/Humvee isn't a tank - in combat it wasn't supposed to be driving around where it could get shot at with heavy weapons. Armored doors and floor pan were added (the basis of the level two kit) for those situations where small arms fire was likely. It was never intended the Hummers would be taking RPG fire, or large calibre artillery shells (which form the basis of a lot of IEDs). Having worked at BRL in the past, when you're talking armor protection against battlefield type weapons, you're in a whole different class of armor than you see welded onto most HMMWV's in Iraq.

The total production of Humvees/HMMWV's of all types is here:

http://www.amgeneral.com/vehicles_hmmwv_background.php/amSid/ 53d85bcea5a8ae182d2ebb154f259a13

In particular 100,000 were produced for the US government through 1993 (starting in 1983) Not all of those are military, the Forest Service and some other agencies also use them, but most are probably in the military. M998A2 Humvees (which share the same engine my H1 has, original military vehicles used a slightly smaller engine) have been produced since 2000 at the rate of approximately 4000/year (31,474 over 7 years). During those years, between 1000 and 2000 Hummer H1 civilian vehicles were produced each year on the same assembly line. (in 1994, the year mine was produced, there were only about 870 civilian H1s produced). No civilian Hummers were produced at all before 1992. And yes, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger does indeed own the very first civilian one.

As you might have noticed if you go by a Hummer dealer, there are almost no civilian H-1s now. Since we know we've made 6000 fully armored new ones in the last year and a half, that probably accounts for nearly the entire pre-war production rate of the *one* factory that makes Hummer H-1s. I suspect they can double production at that plant, which might mean we're making as many as 10K per year at the moment (I have not seen this number publicly quoted). We have to replace losses (whihc have been > 1000 vehicles at this point I believe). (the popular Hummer H-2 vehicle is produced in a different factory purpose built for that vehicle and is based on a non-military frame.) This factory is located in South Bend, Indiana, they used to give tours of it, stop by if you're there. Maybe you'll buy one of your own!

Thanks,
 -jcp-

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>