Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Editors comment on the number of items re ex-ex-ex

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:50:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

Date: June 3, 2005 10:37:08 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Editors comment on the number of items re ex-ex-ex

For IP, and anonymize me if you please. And my previous email on this thread, should you use it.

Dave,

I agree that this is an important issue- we all know that censor-ware limits legitimate news websites and even the White House website on occasion. Your concern over birth control and drug discussions being sandboxed away are well worth considering. If these discussions are deemed undesirable and can be shut away, what else can be? Social security reform? Handgun ownership? Religious discourse?

I wonder who started this .xxx tld campaign which ICANN responded to.

I know locally in North Carolina, it was a grandmother who was upset that her granddaughter typed the wrong domain and instead of seeing a teen-oriented website found an adult-oriented website depicting teens. You can imagine her shock and outrage.

http://rdu.news14.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=66508 is from march 2005 and talks a little about the grandmother's campaign for a .xxx tld, but she began pushing for this much earlier, in 2001.

http://www.protecteverychild.org/ is the grandmother's site.

My contention has always been that a .xxx tld will be an ineffective band-aid solution, and that parents teaching children what is and isn't appropriate for viewing is a better solution.

Of course, from protecteverychild.org's standpoint, the .xxx tld still protects the 1st amendment rights of pornographers:

"Pornography is not going away. .XXX will protect the 1st Amendment rights of the majority—every child, every adult—while continuing to protect the rights of the few, the pornographers. It will give us back the freedom to choose what comes into our homes and block the door to the stranger entering uninvited when a word is misspelled. One wrong click of the mouse has changed the lives of countless numbers of our youth. We don’t send our children to the park alone in the dark. Don’t sit back while they continue to meet strangers in your den or perhaps in their bedroom. This, too, is Homeland Security!"

I'm not certain that I know the best answer: Perhaps Dan Steinberg is right, and google's example of defaulting to not showing results with explicit pictures is the right balance.