Interesting People mailing list archives

Security Event YET ANOTHER!!! djf

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 05:10:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Matt Murray <mattm () optonline net>
Date: June 24, 2005 3:29:14 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Fw: Security Event

From the University of Connecticut.

Matt Murray

mattm () optonline net

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael.Kerntke () Uconn Edu"
To: <my UConn email address>
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 1:30 PM
Subject: Security Event

Dear UConn Community Member,

On June 20, 2005 University Information Technology Services received
notification from a non-University corporation that an invalid logon
attempt had originated from a computer within the University of
Connecticut domain. This automated notification was investigated by UITS
technical staff and it was discovered that a hacking incident had
resulted in an unauthorized program, known as a rootkit, being installed
on a UITS data center server.

After further investigation it was determined that this server contained personal data for 72,000 individuals that possessed or had been issued a UConn NetId since October 26, 2003. This data was potentially at risk of
being compromised by the hacker. The data being maintained for these
individuals include Social Security Number, Name, Date of Birth,
University Address, University Phone Number and Department Name. Based on forensic analysis there is no indication that any of the data on the machine was actually compromised - only that the opportunity for someone
to access it existed.

While we have no indication that any of the information maintained on
the server has been compromised we are encouraging members of the
University community to monitor financial records over the next several months carefully. You may decide to place a fraud alert with the three national credit reporting agencies. A fraud alert does not affect your credit score or your credit rating. When a fraud alert is placed on your credit report, credit companies should contact you before approving a new
application for credit under your name. The three credit reporting
agencies are able to respond to your concerns regarding fraud alerts and their impacts. Thanks to a new federal law, consumers can get one free
credit report per year from each of the three national credit bureaus:
Equifax, Experian and Trans Union. Contact information for these will be
available via the web site, noted below, that is devoted to this
incedent.

If, after a review of your credit report, you believe a crime
(fraud/identity theft) has been committed against you as a result of this
incident, you should report your crime to your local law enforcement
agency.

In order to answer any questions that you may have regarding this
incident a special phone line, 486-1988 (toll free 1-888-464-8266), has been activated and will be monitored by the IT Security Office. We have
also created a web site, incident.uconn.edu, which will provide
additional information and updates regarding this incident which is being investigated by UConn Police. You may also phone the UITS Help Center at 486-HELP, for assistance in locating various resources that you may need.
We will provide additional information to you as it becomes available.

This represents the University's official notification to you regarding
this incident.  As a further security measure be advised that the
University will not be soliciting further information from you. As
always, caution should be taken with regard to any future request made to you regarding your personal information. To ensure timely distribution of this notice, we are also notifying Connecticut media of this incedent.

We regret any inconvenience that this incident may cause and are working
hard to ensure that such an incident won't reoccur.

Sincerely,

Michael Kerntke
Chief Information Officer
University of Connecticut