Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Opinions Re: Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips rumor on CNet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 16:03:26 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Roman Gollent <roman-ip () gollent com>
Date: June 4, 2005 3:48:03 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: more on Opinions Re: [IP] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips rumor on CNet

Two words: Fat Binaries

Those of us that use(d) NeXTStep/OpenStep on both "black" (68k) and
"white" (x86) machines have already been around for one such
architectural transition, and this was long before the days of VMWare et
al.  The idea is that every application binary is compiled to run on
both architectures.  This allowed us to compile every application
running in the organization once (per code rev) and share binaries via
NFS to either type of box without adding any discriminating intelligence
on the client side.  It's not a far stretch of the imagination that
Apple would be able to redeploy this technology on MacOS.

No emulation penalties and few, if any, complications on the user side.

Roman