Interesting People mailing list archives

UPS lost package containing Citigroup customer info

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 14:39:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: leigh <leigh_b () mac com>
Date: June 6, 2005 2:07:56 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: UPS lost package containing Citigroup customer info

For IP, if you wish ...

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/06/news/fortune500/security_citigroup/ index.htm?cnn=yes

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Citigroup said Monday that personal information on 3.9 million consumer lending customers was lost by UPS while in transit to a credit bureau -- the biggest breach of customer or employee data reported so far.

Citigroup did not immediately return a call to CNN seeking comment, but it sent its customers a letter saying the tapes included Social Security numbers, names, account history and loan information about retail customers, and former customers, in the United States.

The letter added that the company had no reason to believe the information has been used inappropriately and that it has received no reports of unauthorized activity.

"We deeply regret this incident, which occurred in spite of the enhanced security procedures we require of our couriers," Kevin Kessinger, executive vice president of Citigroup (Research), said in a statement. "Beginning in July, this data will be sent electronically in encrypted form," said Kessinger, who heads the company's consumer finance business in North America ...