Interesting People mailing list archives

More on BS affair.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:15:46 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Scott Alexander <salex () dsl cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:00:29 -0500
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] More on BS affair.

I think the bit that amazes me most out of the decisions by the business
school is the implication that ethics is unteachable.  Perhaps the
business schools see it differently, but I would have thought that the
amount of discussion that generally seems to be occurring over this
incident would imply that this is close to the gray area.  When I went
to college, those who weren't able to meet the foreign language
requirement for admission were instead required to take a certain number
of foreign language classes for no credit while in school.  If these
students have a certain aptitude for business, but a certain deficiency
in ethics (which one would presume is the position of such a school that
would have accepted one of these students but for this incident), it
would seem a public service by the school to make up that deficiency.

I also think the analogy of a student finding the dean out of his office
and rifling his files to be not quite right.  This seems to me more like
if a rumor were going around the campus that the dean had the admissions
decisions written on his blackboard and that he left his office door
standing open and unguarded when he went out for his daily walk from 3
to 5.  Given the stress of waiting for an admission decision, I could
imagine having stuck my head in to see where my name was when I was in
my 20s.

Best,
Scott

------ End of Forwarded Message