Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Transcript of Sen. Stevens' remarks on cable "indecency" laws

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:43:16 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Richard Wiggins <richard.wiggins () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:16:51 -0500
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Transcript of Sen. Stevens' remarks on cable "indecency"
laws

Declan has mislabeled this story. The quoted remarks pertain primarily
to cable TV.   Although there are references to Voip and broadband,
Stevens is currently riled up about television, not the Internet.  The
issue at hand is Stevens' proposal to treat cable television more like
broadcast TV; the latter has always been under Federal regulation for
decency, while the former has not.  This is a broader story than the
Internet, although if Stevens ultimately seeks to regulate any content
over any wire, it could someday affect Internet content.

There is a funny accidental pun in the transcript:

"They say right on, but do it right, and that's why we postponed the
markup until after the recess and we're going to do it right and I
invite cable to come in and talk."

I doubt that "right on" is in Ted Stevens' vocabulary.  But he might
quote colleagues who support the legislation he is drafting as saying
"write on."

/rich

PS -- what's next?  A bill to enforce decency of content delivered
over municipal wireless networks?

------ End of Forwarded Message