Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Phones Need Simplicity Before Cool Stu ff, CEOs Say

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:47:07 -0500

_______________ Original message _______________
Subject:        Re: [IP] Phones Need Simplicity Before Cool Stuff, CEOs Say
Author: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby () henkel-wallace org>
Date:           17th March 2005 7:39:13  AM

Dave,

I loved this story.  Whom are the CEOs talking to: the Street or their
own employees?  They're falling into the same trap that is slowly
strangling the PC market.

Both industries sell a commodity as (Bob Frankston has so frequently
pointed out) and that's all most people want.  These companies have
been faked out by "featuritis" -- it was a groping path to sufficiency,
not the driver of demand that they thought it was.  Once the PC or
phone reached the sufficiency plateau, people lost interest in anything
more.

People will master a complex interface if it buys them something
useful.  My automobile is harder to far control than my Treo.  But most
people couldn't care less about the "value" of the treo and to tell the
truth, now I've dropped mine and damaged it, I might just replace it
with the cheapest phone Verizon offers.

-d