Interesting People mailing list archives

New phone for me to try out -- Nokia 9500

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:21:06 -0500

Nokia supplied me with the Nokia 9500. While it is not yet offered in the
USA as a carrier offering, it came up with no problems using my T-mobile
account.

What makes it an interesting phone. Certainly not its size. It is large -- a
bit longer than the SM P910i I was using. opens up on its long length to
show  a rather large keyboard and a rather large and bright screen  roughly
7 x 3 in.

The keyboard would not work for the touch types but for us two finger speed
demons it is great. Makes handling email easy,

BUT the big win is that it supports WiFi and bluetooth and GPSR. When I am
near most access points I just connect and away it goes. Works like a CHARM
AT STARBUCKS, PITSBURGH Airport and CMU and home. Rest of the world GPSR
handles it (or EDGE if I used ATT Wireless which I don't.

It has a camera and Office compatibility etc. Its email system is ok --
needs some work but usable.

Right now it does not synch with iSynch on the MAC but if you use a PC it
works and I use a network synch system.

Few downers I have found yet. Battery life looks very good. Needs a better
case. AND IT NEEDS A VIBRATOR     and I would like voice control.

BTW it works fine with the new Jabber headset which has a vibrator and is
beltable.

More as I use it more but right now I would prefer it to my SE P910i (voice
control and much better than the Treo 600.

Dave