Interesting People mailing list archives

Outsourced Programmer Starts Business

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 04:32:22 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Andreas Ramos <andreas () andreas com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:02:54 -0700
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Outsourced Programmer Starts Business

"My parents paid for me to get a (degree) in math and now I am a pooper
scooper..."

Is this an example of "putting the cherry on top" that Thomas Friedman is
talking about?

Americans may think that they are uniquely capable of doing the best
high-value jobs. That
may be true for a few, but the vast majority of Americans will have to
compete against
Indians, Chinese, Europeans, and others, and those countries have a vastly
better education
system, better health care (if you're healthy, you can work better), and the
political will
to move ahead into a secular globalized technologica economy.

Meanwhile, in the USA, the "Dominionists" are trying to drag the USA back to
the 15th
century. As for the next generation of children from the Red states, one can
pretty much
already write them off as a loss.

yrs,
andreas