Interesting People mailing list archives

Dell - Extortion? - Follow Up

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 19:21:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Art Wolinsky <awolinsky () oii org>
Date: May 30, 2005 6:34:31 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Dell - Extortion? - Follow Up

Within minutes of my post hitting IP, I had about a half-dozen replies. One suggested that I go to MSCONFIG and stop it from loading and another basically said, good luck, the only way you're going to get rid of it is by formatting the hard drive. I decided do some more digging and figured I'd have to bite the bullet and pay the fee to get it off. Here's what transpired.

Here is the exact alert I received today that started it all...

New and Improved Dell Support 3 Coming Soon!
Dell Support 2.x will be automatically upgraded via the Internet to the new Dell Support 3 by June 1st. No user interaction is required. Dell Support 3 conducts real-time scans of your computing environment (PC, peripherals and network devices) for potential technical support and security issues, sends an alert when an issue arises, offering advice and in many cases the option to choose to run an automated fix. To learn more about what it monitors, click here." NOTE: If you do not want to receive the upgrade, you need to uninstall Dell Support through Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

Pay particular attention to the part about Add or Remove Programs. Guess what folks. You CAN'T remove it that way. I paid $49.95 plus tax to have the tech tell me that the software is on a ghost partition of the drive and the only way to get rid of it is to reformat the drive. I would like someone from Dell to explain to me why I am told to remove it through the Add or Remove Programs panel, when it can't be done. I it because people would be a tad bit upset if the said, "If you do not want to receive the upgrade, you need reformat your hard drive."

Personally, I feel this puts Dell right in the same category with the spyware folks we all know and love. The tech was quick to point out at there are plenty of other utilities that report information back to companies. To that I replied, yes, and every one of them gives me the option of not installing it or purchasing it. Even the worst spyware can be removed without reformatting a hard drive. Dell's software is going on my computer whether I like it or not and the only way I can prevent it is to do a full data back up, reformat my hard drive, and spend the next 3-4 day reinstalling all of my software.

I really don't think that's worth paying $50+ to find out. At that point, I asked him to put me in contact with someone who could refund the $49.95 plus tax that I had just paid. I was connected and without a great deal of difficulty or undue time, I did get the refund.

As things stand, Dell will be losing me as a customer.

Art

Art Wolinsky
OEO 3DWriting, Inc.
awolinsky () 3dwriting com
http://www.3dwriting.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.
I will surely learn a great deal today.