Interesting People mailing list archives

Feds May Let Big Telecom Hijack The Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:32:22 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: November 11, 2005 11:46:57 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: [IP] Feds May Let Big Telecom Hijack The Internet

Dave,

For those who don't watch TV (see, you miss more than great programs
like "Modern Marvels" on History Channel ... ), the telephone
companies' alliance has again been flooding the airwaves with
"unleash the phone companies" advertising.  These follow their usual
line: We see happy consumers using futuristic communications devices
and services, and are told that our telecom laws are only slightly
more recent than the invention of plumbing.  Allow for true
market-based competition without all of those inconvenient
regulations, the commercials say, and it'll truly be a wonderful
world indeed!  And there's not a phone bill in sight!

Of course, the truth of the matter is that the telcos have been
moving rapidly through massive consolidation -- and a range of other
tactics -- to create an environment where "competition" will only be
a pale reflection of what we were originally promised, with only a
few gigantic players in control of all telecom resources and
policies.  Like the robot cop in "Terminator 2" that reformed from
blown-apart mercurial blobs of metal, the "golden age" of telecom
competition is already giving way to empire.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () eepi org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, EEPI
  - Electronic Entertainment Policy Initiative - http://www.eepi.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com

 - - -

Begin forwarded message: