Interesting People mailing list archives

Mobility - Special from Financial Times

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 09:29:28 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: November 13, 2005 7:22:25 AM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Mobility - Special from Financial Times

[Note:  This item comes from friend John Wilson.  DLH]

From: "john wilson" <johnresearch () hotmail com>
Date: November 13, 2005 3:26:03 AM PST
To: dewayne () dandin com, dewayne () warpspeed com
Subject: mobility-special-ft

Dewayne

Another FT article, lengthy, good, re mobile comms, with interesting refs to wireless/wifi (also relates earlier MIT wireless campus story of this wk):

eg
===

Tools such as e-mail and instant messaging may have been around since the dawn of the internet era, but it has taken a wireless communications revolution to turn them into a constant and inescapable fact of life for a growing part of the population. WiFi networks - a low-cost technology that can beam large chunks of data over short distances using part of the radio spectrum that was previously the preserve of gadgets such as garage door openers and baby monitors - assure the digitally addicted of a permanent and ubiquitous connection to the wider world. At the same time, more versatile mobile phones have turned text messages into the communications tool of choice for teenagers in Asia and Europe, if not yet the US, while also bringing e-mail to many handsets. For those in the grip of these new networks, life has changed. There’s no such thing as solitude any more, no fragment of time that cannot be filled with digital chatter.

==

Its a v long article, I have posted full version to my blog here:
<http://prismspectrum.blogspot.com/2005/11/mobility-special-ft.html>

Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>