Interesting People mailing list archives

more on A very long life] (fwd)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:44:36 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [IP] more on A very long life] (fwd)
Date:   Wed, 16 Nov 2005 01:03:53 -0500
From:   Peter Capek <capek () ieee org>
To:     dave () farber net

(For IP if you wish, Dave)

It's difficult to say with any certainty that a particular kind of machine is NOT in use somewhere, but it's hard to believe that a 709x could have been kept running all these years, or that there is any non-historical reason why one would want to. The ones on the DEW line (does THAT still exist in some form?) must have been replaced with something more modern and more reliable, I would think. However, I do know that there is a working 650, 604, and 1401 in Germany, maintained as a true labor of love by some retired IBMers. They're not in any sort of production use, so probably don't qualify for the project that Bob McClure proposes. Datamation had an article years ago on the decomissioning of what was thought to be the last 701 (704? I can't recall now, but will try to find it and report back.)

                  Peter Capek