Interesting People mailing list archives

SBC CEO Part II - "They don't have anything - "They use my lines for free -- and that's bull."

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 09:11:49 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bruce Kushnick <bruce () NEWNETWORKS COM>
Date: November 1, 2005 11:21:51 PM EST
To: CYBERTELECOM-L () LISTSERV AOL COM
Subject: Re: SBC CEO Part II - "They don't have anything - "They use my lines for free -- and that's bull." Reply-To: Telecom Regulation & the Internet <CYBERTELECOM- L () LISTSERV AOL COM>

If  you want to read an alarming tale of power, just go read the latest
chapters---
-- SBC's Mergers Harmed Fiber Optic Broadband and Competition.
http://www.teletruth.org/docs/SBCMergerharms.pdf (PDF FILE)

Here's the truth about SBC last decade... It cut the fiber optic deployments
in 13 states,
California, Texas, SNET Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. and in
all
all of the states, the companies got billions extra in higher phone rates,
higher USF,
tax breaks, etc.
And they all promised fiber to the home, 45mps, 500+ channels. And when
SBC merged, every fiber optic service was cancelled.
    And the networks were supposed to be open to competition. Now,
even GOOGLE and Yahoo and Vonage are threatened?
    In short, SBC and companies lied. The equipment didn't work.
SBC, Verizon, etc overcharged about  us by about $200 billion dollars.
And now they tell everyone they own  the network....

We own the networks and  its time for them to refund the money.

Whitacre is quoted.
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_45/b3958089.htm
They don't have any wires. They don't have anything," he argues. "They
use my
lines for  free -- and that's bull. For a Google (GOOG ) or a Yahoo!
(YHOO ) or a
Vonage or anybody to expect to use these pipes for free is nuts!"