Interesting People mailing list archives

Coming to TV: ads about you

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:32:50 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Coming to TV: ads about you
Date:   Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:12:56 -0800 (PST)
From:   Gregory Hicks <ghicks () well com>
To:     dave () farber net
CC:     ghicks () cadence com

Dave:

For IP if you wish...

Are cable boxes the next target for spyware?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051117.wxhyperads17/BNPrint/Business/

Coming to TV: ads about you
By KEITH MCARTHUR
Thursday, November 17, 2005 Posted at 4:41 AM EST
From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

When you watch your favourite program in the not-too-distant future,
your TV could be watching back.

Cable companies are preparing to install software on digital set-top
boxes that will keep track of everything you watch. Coupling that
information with your address, the software would estimate your age,
gender, interests and income.

The result? Advertisers could send different commercials to different
viewers.

It could be years before the technology comes to Canada, but two U.S.
cable companies are planning to roll it out early next year.

The concept will likely raise red flags from privacy advocates, and its
implications are enormous.

Advertisers would be able to make sure the right ads are seen by the
right people, challenging the old industry saying: "I know half my
advertising dollars are wasted. I just don't know which half."

Leading the charge is Invidi Technologies Corp., which is finalizing
deals with two U.S. cable companies to install its software and begin
"hypertargeting" ads early next year.

The company, now based in Princeton, N.J., was founded in Edmonton,
where half of its engineers are still headquartered.

Invidi president David Downey was in Toronto this week to promote the
software at a meeting of the Cable and Telecommunications Association
for Marketing.

It's astounding how quickly and accurately the Invidi software can come
up with a demographic profile of a household and its members, Mr.
Downey said during a panel discussion on the topic.

"Our goal is to have this software in every set-top box in the world .
. ." Mr. Downey said. "There's no one else that's doing what we're
doing."

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin