Interesting People mailing list archives

more on GAO Report on the FCC's Spectrum Allocation and Assignment Process

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 05:22:51 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Date: November 28, 2005 12:01:10 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] GAO Report on the FCC's Spectrum Allocation and Assignment Process

At 04:58 PM 11/25/2005, DeWayne Hendricks wrote:

[Note:  I was one of the twenty-two 'experts' on the two panels that
were used in assisting in the preparation this report.  DLH]

Amazingly, the one group that was not represented on the panels upon
whose input the paper was based was local wireless Internet service
providers, such as the one which I operate (LARIAT.NET). As such, the
opinions in the white paper were predictably slanted toward regimes
which favor large corporations at the expense of local businesses
and local providers. In particular, they supported an auction process
which has utterly failed to make spectrum available to such providers.

Congress would do well to listen to those of us who are actually
providing wireless broadband on a day-to-day basis in our communities.

--Brett Glass