Interesting People mailing list archives

Getting consumers' consent to sell cellphone tracking data

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:32:44 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kris Gabor <kgabor () aol com>
Date: November 30, 2005 4:18:13 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, rms () computerbytesman com
Subject: Re: [IP] [EPIC_IDOF] Getting consumers' consent to sell cellphone tracking data

Interesting debate.  I don't see the big deal here, though.  A lot of
valuable information can be gleaned from using cell phones as anonymous
mobile transponders. The key is that the wireless carriers not pass on any personally identifiable information to the company doing the aggregation and analysis, and that the scope of the information is geographically limited.
Requiring consumers to opt in would render this concept DOA.  I would be
interested in seeing the details of what raw data they are intending to turn
over.

The way the wireless carrier should do this to keep me happy as a consumer
who values his privacy is to send the aggregator a feed of lat/long with
some ephemeral ID that is constant for my phone (maybe changes daily), but cannot be resolved back to the ESN or phone number. Moreover, they should only do this if the location is within some geographic mask that represents highway systems of interest. I wouldn't want them to send a record of me
pulling into my driveway, for instance.  This way, we get the utility
without giving up privacy.  Seems like a win-win to me.

-- Kris