Interesting People mailing list archives

more on NYCwireless Network Neutrality Broadband Challenge

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 16:37:49 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rahul Tongia <tongia () andrew cmu edu>
Date: November 2, 2005 4:22:18 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on NYCwireless Network Neutrality Broadband Challenge

My engineer brain is overwhelmed by my real-world brain. There are so many grey areas here in the rules...

1) Lawful depends on not absolute (federal/constitutional) laws but also on consumer laws, contracts *between* firms, etc. 2) What does that say about end-to-end encryption, just to pick one issue? 3) "do not harm the network?" Isn't that something subject that the network operator can arbitrarily decide. P2P (esp. torrents) cause a lot of traffic, ergo they harm the network. Heck, some networks are even built with specific traffic patterns in mind (linked to revenues!) so something that harms that design also harms their revenues, so it's definitely got to go! 4) What happens when we only have a few choices in the marketplace, as is increasingly happening? "Free choice" becomes less meaningful when we have an oligopoly emerge.

[this is only with NYC in mind, let alone developing countries...

Rahul

Rahul Tongia, Ph.D.
Systems Scientist

School of Computer Science (ISRI) / Dept. of Engineering & Public Policy
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213 USA
tel: 412-268-5619
fax: 412-268-2338