Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Neustar to create their own DNS root

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 08:17:45 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John R Levine <johnl () iecc com>
Date: September 30, 2005 10:36:11 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] Neustar to create their own DNS root

Neustar, a company that should certainly know better, has announced
that they're going to create a .gprs TLD to serve the mobile phone
industry
(http://www.neustar.com/pressroom/files/announcements/ ns_pr_09282005.pdf)
This, of course, requires creation of a private root zone, against
the very strong warnings in RFC 2826. ...

This isn't quite as stupid as it seems.  The GSM industry needs some
way to maintain its roaming user database, the database is getting
considerably more complicated with 3G features, and it looks to me
like they made a reasonable decision to use DNS over IP to implement
it rather than inventing yet another proprietary distributed database.
So this is really a private network disjoint from the Internet, and it
doesn't matter what names they use, although I agree it would have
been a good idea to plan ahead and pick names that won't be used
elsewhere.  I suppose that's what 3gppnetwork.org is for.

Why aren't they using .gprs.mobi for this?

Probably because .mobi is intended for content delivered to mobile
phones, not routing infrastructure.

Incidentally, the .mobi people told me that they have all sorts of
rules about requiring that all .mobi web sites be suitable for mobile
users with WAP and such, they're planning to offer domains to the
public in a year or so after the industry players have had first pick
of names, and when people start putting random junk in .mobi (can I
have dick.mobi?) there won't be anything they can do about it because
their challenge process is way too cumbersome to be useful.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl () iecc com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"A book is a sneeze." - E.B. White, on the writing of Charlotte's Web