Interesting People mailing list archives

more on good note djf Oil Independence? - If this is independence, we're addicted!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:00:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ethan Ackerman <eackerma () u washington edu>
Date: September 13, 2005 1:30:41 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Oil Independence? - If this is independence, we're addicted!

-----Original Message-----
From: David Farber [mailto:dave () farber net]
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 8:02 PM
To: Ip Ip
Subject: [IP] Oil Independence?
[...]
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/news_columnists/article/ 0,1299,DRMN_86
_4051709,00.html
What do IP skeptics say?
[...]

Call me skeptical.
More than anything this conjures the image of a desperate junkie scraping residue out of the bowl of a pipe in hopes of collecting enough for one last
fix.

There are two main flaws with oil shale extraction, regardless of the
flavor: economics and environmental impacts. I've tried to cover a bit of
both below with some links to better coverage and resources.

But first, an aside. I am probably one of the younger IP list readers, born right before the last oil crisis, and was an untimely displaced resident of Grand Junction, Colo. (the largest city closest to the oil shale bust of the
early 80s,) but even as a young 5-year-old I could grasp that burning a
barrel of oil to get 3, or 2, or 1.5 barrels, was a good way to get more
smoke than anything else.  I (and apparently others in the links below)
remember hearing the cynical slogan of shale boom survivors: "Oil shale has
a fantastic future - it always has and it always will."

Aside from the emotion, hard fact also counsels against oil shale
extraction...

First, the environmental concerns:
1980s-style oil extraction from shale was one of the most environmentally
destructive industrial processes known to man, and that was before the
extracted oil was even burned. 2005-style in-situ extraction looks to be
more of a difference in degree, not kind. Terry O'Connor, the Shell VP
quoted in the news article, even concedes in this informative Casper Tribune
article:
http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2005/08/09/news/regional/ 03e14b4eb
94bfd7f8725705700826a2b.txt
that in situ extraction is comparable to mountain strip mining in terms of
total physical surface destruction.  This is the oil shale industry
"advocate!"

So we've got near total surface disturbance (from collection, drilling pads,
cooling wells, or transport and access,) and now with in situ, we've got
subsurface disturbance as well.  Thermal expansion or contraction from
heating and/or freezing has real impacts, including erosion, subsidence,
aquifer collapse or alteration. We're not talking about a few cracks or
slumps, the extraction of oil from oil shale can result in a 30% structural
expansion in the shale as it releases oil!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale

Also, if there is one thing more important than oil in the intermountain
west, it is water.
Boiling off any groundwater (that's what happens when you heat underground water as high as 600F, well above its boiling point) has dramatic impacts on
water levels and surface flows, even if that boiled-off water is somehow
recovered and decontaminated. I mention decontaminated because this is a very polluting activity, oil shale is rife with carcinogens, oil shale slag is itself a known carcinogen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Carcinogen) and subsurface water can also release nasty heavy metal contaminants when it is
brought to the surface with its different pressures, pHs and exposure to
oxygen.

As if that weren't enough, the extraction and cracking process of refining oil shale requires considerable hydrogen to form a high value hydrocarbon, and this hydrogen comes from water. Now water isn't exactly plentiful in the largely desert intermountain west, the Green River formation included.

Explain to Colorado River-dependent communities downstream in California, Utah and Arizona (LA, Vegas, Phoenix, among others...) that their water has
been either appropriated to hydrogenate oil shale, or contaminated by
bringing contaminants to the surface where their water is, and you have a
large scale interstate water war.

I've saved possibly the largest environmental impact for last - huge energy expenditure and concurrent greenhouse gas and pollutant emissions necessary to heat, cool, transport and distill this shale. Burning a barrel of oil to extract optimistically around 3 barrels that will then be burned somewhere else nets at least a 30% increase in combustion emissions over straight oil
extraction.  Unfortunately, oil shale oil is also "dirty oil" (
http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/aeo/conf/pdf/dammer.pdf p23) with Sulfur and
Nitrogen content over 4.5% - not as bad as over 6% of oil sands oil, but
almost twice as bad as "high sulfur" oils from Kuwait, and at least two
orders of magnitude higher than the levels allowed in gasoline.  So we
increase sulfur oxides, nitrogen oxides, and carbon dioxide emissions by at least a third (oil shale is not magically free of these pollutants) - this
is decreasing acid rain, smog, pollution and greenhouse gas issues how?

Economics:
The economics side is telling - perhaps it is not coincidental that Enron was an energy, oil and gas company, because some of the accounting claiming that oil shale is productive looks absolutely - well - cooked. This process
requires add ional energy inputs!! IF considerable amounts of additional
natural gas or coal are burned to heat the shale, and to generate the
electricity needed for cooling the perimeter, AND to move the water around,
convert it to steam for hydrogenating, cracking, etc, then it does
ultimately look like it is technically possible to say that less "oil" was used than is created. Less oil used than extracted, maybe, but definitely NOT less fossil fuel, or less energy extracted than consumed. Why not put the gas or coal to productive use outright? This is like pumping water from sea level to a mountain lake and then saying, 'lets build a hydropower dam,
free electricity!'

The Wilderness Society's Senate testimony on this perverse calculus is
insightful.  I find it interesting that exploiting similar Canadian tar
sands threaten to actually cause a net DECREASE in Canada's energy exports
to the US.
http://www.wilderness.org/Library/Documents/upload/Testimony-Smith- OilShaleD
evelopment-20050412.pdf

(as an aside, this testimony and the Casper Tribune article also highlight
some of the industry-favorable leasing arrangements and permitting
relaxations related to oil shale that made it into the 2005 Energy bill.)

-Ethan