Interesting People mailing list archives

Katrina - how to spin it? (a rant for IP if you wish)

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 13:35:21 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "Adam Peake (ajp () glocom ac jp)"<apeake () gmail com>
Sent: 02/09/05 12:18:44 PM
To: "dave () FARBER NET"<dave () FARBER NET>
Subject: Katrina - how to spin it? (a rant for IP if you wish)

This is how things seem from Tokyo where our news is full of New
Orleans' crisis.

Four days after a tragic disaster in a major city and American
citizens are suffering and dying in depravation. Dying in the grips of
a massive natural disaster is horrible. But that was four days ago.
American citizens are now begging passing helicopters to drop water
and food. Four days after, this is criminal.

Federal government is being criticized for being slow and unprepared,
the President is being criticized for continuing to holiday and being
out of touch in so many different ways.

How will they spin it? Blame lawless, shooting, raping, looting mobs
for terrorizing the city?  Demonize a few in the hope that we forget
the rest?  Let's see over the next few days.

If a helicopter is fired on the crew must surely report it and it will
be recorded.  If police or national guard are fired on it should be
reported and recorded. We should hope the press is vigilant in finding
those records.

Adam