Interesting People mailing list archives

more on James Carroll: Church, state, and Katrina

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:49:47 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: EEkid () aol com
Date: September 22, 2005 12:13:49 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] James Carroll: Church, state, and Katrina

Early this week, I heard Senator Santorum ask why America couldn't provide federal funding to religious organizations to assist in the hurricane relief efforts. He claimed that America's churches were the most efficient means to disburse aid to the needy.

Of course, he's speaking of the funding of Christian organizations. When would we fund Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu and other faiths? Let's just suppose you're a Christian hurricane survivor and had to go to a mosque to receive food, water, clothing and a pamphlet on converting your faith. How would you feel? Certainly Christian churches are not exempt from fraud and the mishandling of church funds. Why would federal funds be any different?

Why do we assume that the federal government is incapable of providing needed assistance to survivors in a timely fashion? If they fail to perform, you replace the management until you get results. Preferably before a disaster strikes.

I also find it interesting that, several days before hurricane Rita is due to make landfall, FOX news was calling it a "looming disaster". Today they called it "potentially catastrophic". The President as ordered military troops to be on standby to help provide aid.

After Katrina, we all heard Chertoff and Bush proclaim that "No one could have foreseen this disaster". Well, hurricane Rita hasn't caused a single fatality, yet suddenly our government is capable of foreseeing this disaster. What's changed?

Jerry Ballman